Sunday, January 11, 2009

Trail Blazer

So the group met at the trails this morning. There were 5 of us. It was SNOWY! There was no sign of a trail, only snow.


Yikes, this was going to be tough. I told Caroline I was going to keep my pace, please go with the group and don't wait for me. I would get there eventually. Just a little after 7:30 we headed off.


I was only a few blocks from where we started and breathing heavy, this sucks I thought, we have gone all of 2 blocks and I'm tired already. SI and Gerry broke away, they made it look so easy. I was hoping they would kick the snow into some type of runnable trail but nope, we weren't that lucky.


I started singing a song that I learned in Brownies, in my head, not out loud. That would really freak out Dennis and Caroline. Yes, for some reason I still have that song in my head. Fortunately it was the mindless thought I needed and helped me fall into a trotting pattern. Unfortunately with a mindless song that 8 year olds sing, you want it out of your head almost as quickly as you put it in. So, I decided to pray. The Lords Prayer and Hail Mary. I would say each one about 10 times and then move to the next. It's amazing when your mind is taken away from the task at hand how quickly time passes. I was feeling good. The trail looked beautiful with all the snow. It was cold enough to have the branches frozen white. Nothing looked too disturbed. Holy smokes I was starting to enjoy this miserable run. My meditation run was interrupted by the occasional shout from Dennis - "Yo Pam". I couldn't see him but I could him :) I gave him a thumbs up one of the time. I found out after the run he tought I gave him the finger. Ok, nope, that's pretty funny when you think about it.


We got to the slides, SI and Gerry were there. We took a short break. SI says he's going slow. Caroline and I look at each other and crack up. Ok, if you're going slow what are we going? I announce I'm going 5.25 and no more. I'm feeling good but it's tough. I don't want to fall into the same mistakes I made last year. Doing more than I should because I'm feeling good in the moment.


When it was all done, we went 5.78 miles. I'm laughing right now because I usually won't settle for that. I have to round it up and go 6 but not today. Today I was happy to be done and couldn't wait to get out of my wet clothes.

Oh, I went to church after the run and guess what - come on guess.....

The church still has their Christmas stuff up! The tree, the nativity - all of it! I'm gonna tell my neighbor that if she asks me about my stuff this week. :)

No comments: