Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My Favorites

Some of the things I heard this year and some of my favorite memories ....

______________________________


Driving down to the lake front Gil tells me ....

“Some of my favorite childhood memories have happened in my mid 40’s”

Yeah, I know :)
______________________________


After sending the club an end of the year letter and telling them about registration for next year I got this from Dennis ....


“you had me at ‘Nice Jacket’ "


Oh, I should mention I started the letter with the fact that if you sign up for the club again you get a nice cycling jacket as part of your membership. The letter went on and on and on. I always have trouble knowing when to stop writing. If you haven't guessed that already when reading this blog.
________________________________


So Jane, Caroline, Barbara, Debbie and I stop for coffee after a run in November. Jane gets a scone and coffee. The rest of us just get a beverage. Jane offers us a piece of scone and we decline. So she says .....


"You guys probably don't eat sugar and butter huh?"


Did you hear us laughing? Cause it was loud. Very funny.

________________________________


Me, Jane, Barbara, MJ and Caroline sitting in back of SI’s Explorer, driving on dark lower Wacker drive after a swim, all of us exchanging phones numbers and giggling. I felt like I was at a 5th grade at a slumber party.
________________________________


Riding with Rick this winter, I can't believe we were able to ride in December. We were probably about 5 miles from the Speedway but there is a spot an Delany when you look west the track seems like it's a block away. I ride up to Rick to tell him I hate this part of the ride and he beats me to it. Yup, that's why I like riding with Rick :)
________________________________


I love the the Clinton Trail run. It was 30 miles of fun. Don't get me wrong. It was hard and I was hurting at about mile 21 but I have great memories from doing it.
________________________________


Rockman - nothing but good memories. Some crappy stuff happened that week-end. Tom's bike falling off the car. The weather. But the laughter and the stories we have from that week-end. I thought nothing would top IMOO and what we shared but this was a great time and one that I will tell forever.
_________________________________


Michelle's cancer returned this year. No this isn't a good memory. How someone elses cancer could suffocate me is still hard for me to understand but it did. I cried for 4 days. She is fighting it. She's winning. SHE'S WINNING!!! Fuck'n cancer. It has messed with so many, she's kicking it in the ass.
_________________________________


Seeing Sex and the City with Patty and Jessica and laughing. Then knowing I had to see it again with Deb's. Not the kind of "I had to", had to, but I wanted to had to. We could relate to a lot of what happened. Well, not that dramatic but we could relate. I guess a lot of women could, that's why it was so popular.
_________________________________


Going to Disney with Scott and the kids. We talk about the trip all the time. Somebody remembers a part that the rest of us forgot and we relive it over and over again. It was time and money well spent. :)
_________________________________


And then this. Below is a message I got yesterday in my email. I don't open stuff from people I don't know but it was comment on my post back in April on the McNaughton Trail Run.

704 Studio said...
This is an awesome race report. Some of the stuff that happened to you was Bukowskiesque, in the sense that it seems so absurd that I could not help laughing (the monkey man story, the outhouse with the creepy runner, and Larry Bird having a tree fall on him!)I am planning to run my 1st 50 mile race at McNaughton in 2009, and am reading all the reports I can find - thanks for such a thorough description and for including pics - it really gives me a sense that it is going to be a war!
December 29, 2008 9:31 PM


So why does that make me feel better? Who knows but it did. Some how it validated my experience, don't ask why. I couldn't tell you. Now, I gotta write him and ask what the heck is Bukowskiewque, cause I have know idea.
______________________________

Ok, I'm almost done. 2009 is going to be a year of living by my words. Literally. I tell anyone who tells me they could never do an Ironman that yes they could. It's just a matter of training. Well, I'm about to have to prove it cause this year I took a break. Huge breaks in my running, swimming and biking. When it was happening I beat myself up for doing it but I needed the rest. But the rest is over. If I want to complete the Ironman in August there is no more rest time. I have a lot work so I can have more memories like these.

No comments: