Thursday, September 15, 2011

Will Run For Food

So, I'm sitting in church and we have a visiting pastor talking to us about world hunger. He's telling us how children are fed dirt to feel full because the soup kitchens and food pantries run out of food. I always cry when I hear this. Of course that's why we hear the story and that's what motivates us to donate to the cause.

I always pray and ask if there is more I can do. I feel like there is more but I just don't know what I can do to help. Right here. In Illinois.

A couple weeks back I ran a 50 miler. There was a man there, that ran, he raised 3,000 cans of food for his food pantry. Here's his blog, http://brandonmulnix.com/ you can read all about him. It's a pretty remarkable story. While I read it I started thinking, hey, there's another 50 miler coming up at the end of October. I'll run that and ask friends and family to help!

But something just didn't sit right with me and that decision. The 50 miler has a race entry fee of $75 right now and it's gonna jump in price in a couple of weeks. I kept thinking how can I ask anyone for food while I'm spending money on a race when instead I could be spending it on food to donate.

So I came up with the idea to run on my own. Let me make this perfectly clear. I'm just running 50 miles. This isn't a race. There's no website to go to check on this. I'm completely independent of any organization and this isn't an "organized event". I'm just trying to make a difference and not have it cost me or anyone else anything more than a couple of cans of food.

I plan on documenting this journey on FaceBook with pictures and updates of everyone who is giving. I plan on talking about this a lot because I think that's one of the best ways to spread the word. Heck, I talked about it to my teller at our bank yesterday and she's ready to help!

So, here goes nothing. I Will Run For Food - and I need you to come along with me. I need your food to help make a difference!

No comments: