Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Lot's Been Happening

Got my 1st donation yesterday!!! 24 cans of green beans from my friends Barbara and Jeff. And today a very generous donation from a friend from Minnesota's mom!


There is still more work to be done. A lot of work. Running the 50 miles is going to be easy. Part of me is thinking, why did I put it out there that I want to collect 3,001 cans and part of me is thinking I should have said I would collect more.



I have heard from so many people offering to donate not just food but their time and their energy. Initially I knew Caro would run a couple loops with me as well as TR and then the emails started to come in with friends saying they would run a loop and then the phone call from MJ. She's the president of Tri-Smart Triathlon club. She not only offered help with raising food but also informed me that the club will make sure I'm not out there running alone.


I visited Together We Cope yesterday and made a quick video of the director of the food pantry explaining who they serve.






I'm not Steven Spielberg so the quality of my video isn't what it could be but I think it gives a brief description as to who they serve and what their hours are. If you can't hear Carol, this is what she is saying ....




  • Together We Cope is located at 17010 South Oak Park Avenue, Tinley Park - our hours are Mon., Tues., Wed., and Fri. 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Thurs., 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. We service between 50 and 70 families a day and our boundaries are from 87th St. to the North, Western Ave. to the East, 183rd to the South and Will Cook Road to the West.


  • What isn't in the video but I asked about is this .... Are there any items of food that you may need more of than others .... Carol made it very clear that she will take ANY donation but there is a need for things like Peanut Butter, Jelly, Pasta, Noodles, Canned Soups, Ramen soups, Spaghetti Sauce, Rice, Canned Meats, Tuna, Beans and Cereal. These are all items that are filling and can make a semi-nutritious meal.
Did the math and figured - they service just about a 50 mile radius in the cook county area. Huh! Maybe next time I should plan to run the outer perimeter of their boundaries. Never mind, I have to concentrate on this time first.

No comments: