Sunday, July 26, 2009

Please - Don't Drink the Mildew

Thursday - July 16th - 10 a.m.
I prepared for my ride with Chip and his daughter. I was excited to get out there. Missed the ride the Sunday before with the group. Hubby was working, it was one of those rare Sunday's that he had to go in. I didn't mind skipping the ride though, we had been at a graduation party late Saturday night. It was more like a wedding celebration. The kids danced and danced. It was good time and sleeping in felt even better. Okay, I'm getting off track here.

So, Thursday, July 16th, I got the bike ready, tires pumped, water cup in place. Had some dried mango for nutrition. I was ready to go. It was rather windy. We couldn't figure out the direction it was coming from so we just rode out to Monee. Loved the ride. Windy but I felt really good.

Get home and take the water cup off the holder, pull out the splash guard to drink the rest of the water and what do I see, mildew. Lovely, red slime resting at the bottom of my cup. I wanted to lose it right there. UGH! No way, there is no way I just drank 24 oz. of water with this gunk at the bottom.

Well, Friday, July 17th, I woke up and felt fine. HA! I dodge a bullet. Phew, I guess I'm pretty darn healthy huh?

Went to bed that night with a cough and sniffles but wrote that off to nerves - after all the next day was the Warrior Dash. Jumping thru flames and in dark caves....

By Saturday, July 18th, p.m. I was coughing constantly. Didn't sleep. The coughing turned into that awful barking yip - croup was back. So, I attempted to sleep in and skipped the ride Sunday, then skipped the run Monday, Tuesday, no ride Wednesday.

Wednesday, July 22nd, After being sleep deprived for 4 nights, I'm thinking crap. Why didn't I just check the bottom of that darn cup?! CRAP! I was bumm'n big time and then my phone rings ....

Me - Hello

Endocrinologist - Mrs. E. Dis is Dr. S. I have your labs from yesterday ....

Me - Oh, hi Dr. S. Geeze, how's your day goin'?

Endo - Listen to me, your thyroid leVels are Very low, you need to go on medication vight now ....

Me - Can't this wait, I see you in 2...

Endo - NO, dis can not vait, you must go on it NOW. You have to be experiencing the following symptoms .... (she names 3 out of 4 things I have been experiencing)

Me - (thinking it not saying it - crap, CRAP, CRAP!)

Endo - I need your pharmacy number to call dis in dis morning

Me - give her the number.

Endo - Do not worry. Just start the medication. I vill see you in 2 weeks.

I thought I dodged a radioactive bullet and wasn't going to have to take any medication. Heck, I was feeling so good with my workouts that I truly did ignore the symptoms I was feeling. Big mistake. Shouldn't have done that. I beat myself up about it until Friday. Well, at least I wasn't thinking about the mildew and the cough for a couple of days.

Sunday, July 26th, the croupy cough is finally going away and so are the hypothyroid symptoms, the worst of which was muscle cramping, which is so weird because I hadn't worked out regularly for so long that I just figured they were normal.

We can be our own worst enemies. Well, I can tell my water cup is cleaned dry. Part of me wants to just throw it away and get a new one. I think that's what I'm gonna do.

No comments: