Friday, October 5, 2007

Me and the Blue Squid


We got out the door with time to spare. When the weather is nice we love to walk to school and it was beautiful on Wednesday morning. We usually play games on our way pretending we are dinosaurs and have to run from the cars so they don't catch us. Other days we play red light green light. This is usually played on the way home because it can take a long time, especially when you are 4.


Wednesday, Zak kept stopping and then catching up to us and then stopping again. Finally I asked what he was doing. "I keep dropping the blue squid mom" he said. Ugh I thought. You see it's against the school rules to take toys into class which meant the squid would stay with me. I was planning on running 6 miles Wednesday. Alone. Me and my music. Now it would be me, my music and the blue plastic toy. We got to school and Zak showed his classmates the new toy and then reluctantly handed him over to me. I promised him he would be waiting for him as soon as he got out of class. He kissed both of us good bye and joined his schoolmates.


Running with the blue toy wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It could have been worse. I could have but stuck with a "Optimus Prime" the transformer or "Heatblast" the guy from Ben Ten. These guys are big. I was laughing at the thought of me running up the street with one of these dolls clenched in my hand. Swinging back and forth. Luckily this little thing was small and I actually got used to running with him. By the time I finished I almost forgot I had him with me.


I did some yoga. Showered and even folded some laundry before I headed back to pick up the kids. Forgot to take the little blue guy with. Was worried about explaining to Zak that he's at home waiting and not with me but Zak could have cared less. After 2 hours of class time his attention was focused on something else now and the squid was just another toy. I'm gonna have to keep an eye on him when leaving the house. Like I said, I don't want to be running down the street with Spiderman or some other action figure!

No comments: