Monday, October 22, 2007

7 Cards, 10 Pins and a Whole Lot a Fun

Scott and I don't go out much and when we do it's just me and him. Usually a movie and maybe dinner. We are always back home to tuck the kids in bed by 9:30. We've never been party people. Which is starting to work against me. I had the club over to my house a week ago and was freaking out because I literally didn't know what to do. I cleaned the bathrooms and swept the floors but I wasn't sure what to serve to eat or drink. Sounds unbelievable huh? Well, I thought I was doing a pretty good job winging it until a guest asked me for ice, and guess what, I didn't have any! Frozen water and I couldn't give it to her! Well, live and learn. My next party will have ice.
_

Last Friday we had plans to go out. Not just a movie but actually go out and talk to other people. It was card night to raise money for the football program my husband coaches for. I usually don't go to these things but I haven't seen much of Scott lately so I told him we should go. I warned him I didn't really know how to play cards but he assured me that wasn't a problem and we would have fun. So, I dropped the kids off at my moms. On my way home I practiced my poker face and thought about everything I had seen on ESPN's World Poker Tour. We got to the party and my heart was beating as if I had just finished some speed work. After we signed in Scott got a deck of cards and reviewed the rules. His boss was there so he helped with a couple of practice games. It was 8 o'clock and time to start. Fortunately there were only 10 of us playing and it didn't seem like anyone was going to take it to seriously. I got a bag of chips and cheat sheet indicating how much each chip was worth. We drew cards to see where we sat and then the games began. Well, I felt like I just finished my second set of speed drills. Practicing my poker face was a waste of time because nervous was the only face I was able to show. I messed up with betting, when to check, call or fold. My shuffling needs work as does my poker face. Like I said, I was glad no one was taking this seriously.

_

Before long things fell into place. I think I started to get the hang of it. I won a couple of hands. There was one point where I was holding the king and 8 of clubs, the ace, queen and 10 of clubs where on the table. I was to nervous to show the excitement. Yes, I did win that one. Before long the 2 tables were merged into one. I was feeling a little crowded and the mood of the game changed. Some of the guys were in it to win it. I had a 3 and a 4, the 5 and 7 were showing. I went all in. Another guy did the same, with pretty much the same hand. He end up winning cause he had a high card or something like that. I watched for the next hour. It was fun. Scott took 6th. His boss took 4th. We were home by midnight. My mom had the kids and we were able to enjoy a good night sleep that lasted until 8 a.m.!
_
Saturday night was spent trying to stay awake until 9:30. That's when Candle Light Bowl started. My girlfriend invited us about a month earlier to join her and a group of her friends. I was excited to see her. We usually meet for breakfast a couple of times a year so to see her away from the eggs and coffee would be a nice change. When Scott and I were dating, heck even before me and Scott, me and my girlfriend, Cin, would go to this bowling ally. I was afraid I was going to walk in and see the same smokey place, same tile floors and same bowling shoes. Well, we were pleasantly surprised to see that the owners did some nice updates to the place. There was a big sign when we walked in that stated smoking was no longer permitted - whoo hoo!!! And everything looked clean and new. Maybe not as new as I'm remembering, I'm usually sleeping by 9:30-but I have to say it was nice. The only thing that was the same was the music. They were playing 80's stuff and showing the video's. Every time they showed Micheal Jackson, Scott would ask - "Who's that?" Of course Scott's corny jokes always make me laugh.
_
I'm not going to kid myself or anyone reading this, when it comes to bowling I stink. Luckily Scott does too and fortunately that didn't interfere with us having fun. Cin and her husband and his family and their friends and neighbors made us feel like one of the group. Cin ended up winning 2 raffles and a couple of door prizes. I won tickets to a planetarium program at Harper College. Something different for me and the kids to do. We ate and drank and caught up on all the stuff going on and then talked about being there 20 years earlier. Time went by quickly. Scott and I were going for the perfect game #3. By the 5th frame we still hadn't knocked anything down. For those who have never been to candle light bowl, the 3rd game you have to do goofy stuff like throw the ball with your opposite hand or stand with your back to the pins and roll the ball between your legs. Well, our hand eye coordination needs some work because we were BAD. But it was all good. We made it home by 1:30 and I think Scott was sleeping by the time I got into bed.
_
Gotta say this. GO BEARS! What a game they gave us Sunday afternoon. Holy smokes that was a great ending.

No comments: