Thursday, October 1, 2009

Louisville - With Pictures

Sorry this post has taken so long to get to. I'm feeling really good now, so while doing my best to keep up with house work and family, volunteering at school, religious ed and training - I have been pleasantly distracted away from this blog. It's rainy here today, the perfect time to sit and write a little something for you to read ....

Laura at the door of our room. One the smallest hotel rooms I've stayed in. I think the rooms on a cruise may be a bit smaller - but not much. That's the room. The whole room. I'm standing next to the desk and the door to get in. The bathroom is just to my left. Good thing we're not big people, and I'm not kidding when I say that. You almost had to stand in the tub to close the bathroom door. If any one is wondering if we shared the bed, the answer is yes, I could say something funny about that but I won't :) Not to change the subject but here's me at the swim out. It was a beautiful afternoon. The water was choppy though. It didn't look inviting at all and I was hoping it would calm down for the next morning. Here are some pics of team spectate!!! Yes, we had a large group down there to watch and cheer on our buddies. I was worried about feeling kind of old or out of place, I'm not much of a party person but I didn't feel out of place at all. These are a great bunch of people. Let's see, I think the official name of the group was "super spectators" - was that it? Barbara was our fearless leader and lead us she did. Thanks to her we knew exactly where to go and stand and not miss a thing. We were up early race day morning. I think it was just before 4 a.m. which would mean 3 a.m. Chicago time! We checked out of the hotel this early cause we weren't sure about the day and didn't want to have to worry about doing it later. Laura and I met Dennis in the lobby of his hotel around 5:15. It was down to bike transition, body marking and then over to the swim waiting area. Seeing transition, I had a tweek of a desire to be there and over by body marking, I felt the sameway. My heart was jumping all over the place by this time. I was wondering if I was having signs of a thyroid relapse or something. Literally it jumped around all that day. I think it was the excitement of the day because it has since settled down. The line to the swim entry was neverending long. It would be enough to unrattled the most prepared athlete. It just kept going, and going and going. Plus it was very dark. Finally we made it to this sign and then waited for just about an hour to start moving again. From this point on it was race time. The athletes were moving and so were we to watch them. It was so much fun seeing them out there. Screaming for them. Here's Val and her hubby, to the right and then Chris, Barbara and Karen to the left. Me and Laura had a plan to spectate the biker's - "more cow bell" .... Thankfully the weather was great. The athletes did an awesome job. The was long. I know, anyone reading this that participated is thinking, huh, really long for you huh?! Honestly it was long for all of us. But I can't think of any other way to spend it. I was glad to be there. Watching. It helped me put things in perspective. And remind me just what I put the hubby and family thru back in 2007. In the end it is all about family and friends being there for you. Being there while you train, being there while you race. Supporting you, even on the days when you think they aren't. I got to see a couple of 1st time Ironman finishers and I got to witness a friend qualify for Kona. Plus, I got to know someone a little better. Me and Laura had a fun ride home. We were tired but made it in 4 hours! It was a day I won't soon forget.

No comments: