Monday, April 30, 2007

No Spare Here

Met 2 of my tri club buddies for a ride on Saturday morning. It was a great day. The midwest has had miserable weather this past winter and spring - so Saturday was a day to get out early and enjoy every minute of the warmth and sunshine. It took a couple of miles for the 3 of us to find each other on the road but once we did we were off. About 5 miles out I noticed I was riding out in front and enjoying it because it doesn't happen often. I turn around and there were my buddies about 1/2 block behind me, waving me back. Unfortunately bubba got a flat. As I reached them I realized - hey, what would happen if I got a flat. Looking at my friends bikes I noticed they had small bags attached below their seats. I had an empty post below mine. As the flat was changed the conversation focused on my lack of preparedness. What was I thinking!?! With each ride the odds would stack against me. It was only a matter of time before I would be the one changing a tire - so what would I use to change it? I can't call AAA.

After the ride I was off to the bike shop. My husband gave me a gift card for Christmas - this was the perfect time to use it. I bought the bag for under my seat, 2 spare tubes, a small pump to attach to the frame of my bike and the bike version of a Swiss Army knife. I'm so excited! Now, I'm semiprepared. Can't say I'm fully prepared because when the time comes to use my new tools .... Ikes - I don't even want to think about it! At least I'll have what I need to get the job done. :)

1 comment:

RunBubbaRun said...

See if you hang around us way to much you will become a bike tri geek and know stuff you really don't care to know..

Thanks for riding with me, even right now I think I still would have been walking to the car after the flat..